The Red Bull in World War II 34th Infantry Division Resources 1941-1945

History of the 133rd Regiment

World War II, 1941-1945

133rd Regiment FAQ

History 133rd Infantry

A short history of the 133rd Infantry Regiment. Not sure at this time when it was printed nor its distribution but the final date printed is October 23, 1944. No mention of any activity after that.

4 page pamphlet

A more detailed history of the 133rd is available on the 34th Infantry Division Association's website.


34th DIV.


Here is your outfit. Its History is one of hard fought battles and hard won victories.
This worthy record was made by those same individual soldiers that you now represent!

The 133rd Infantry Regiment, 34th Infantry Division was originally organized as the 8th Regiment, Iowa National Guard in 1879. In 1881, the organization was redesignated as the 1st Regiment. On June 2, 1898, the Regiment was mustered into Federal Service for the Spanish-American War. It was at this time redesignated the 49th Iowa Volunteer Infantry and served in Cuba from December 22, 1898 to April 5, 1899. It returned to the United States on April 11, 1899 and was mustered out at Savannah, Georgia on May 13, 1899 to re enter service as the 49th Infantry, Iowa National Guard.

In 1915, the unit became the 1st Infantry, Iowa National Guard and saw service on the Mexican Border in 1916. On August 15, 1917 the unit was inducted in to Federal Service and on Sept. 28, 1917 was redesignated as the 133rd and assigned to the 67th Infantry Brigade; 34th Division. On Sept. 16, 1918 the 1st Battalion left the United States for France: the balance of the Regiment following on Oct. 13th. However, the unit did not see action in Worlt War I and on Jan. 24, 1919 the Regiment returned to the United States to be mustered out at Camp Grant, Ill. on Feb. 18, 1919. Unter the provisions of General Orders No. 16, War Dept. 1921, the 133rd Infantry, Iowa National Guard is entitled to a World War streamer without inscription.

On Feb. 10, 1941 this Regiment was again inducted into Federal Service as a part of the 34th Infantry Division. Shortly thereafter the Regiment moved to Camp Claiborne, Louisiana where it underwent basic training and took part in the Louisiana manuevers of August-September, 1941. On Jan. 1, 1942 the 133rd moved to Fort Dix, N. J. to prepare for embarkation. On Jan. 15, 1943, Headquarters with Regtl. Hdqrs. Co., 1st Bn., Anti-Tank Co., plus Servioe Co. sailed from New York for overseas duty. These troops were the first American soldiers to set foot on European soil in World War II as they arrived in Belfast, North Ireland. The remainder of the Regiment left the States on Feb. 19, 194 and arrived in the British Isles on March 2nd. The Irish towns of Londonderry Armagh, Moy and Caledon with their narrow streets, perpetual dampness and friendly inhabitants are familiar to the << originals >>. On Sept. 17, 1942 the 2nd Bn. was attached to Allied Force Headquarters, remaining there on guard and police duty throughout the Tunisian and part of the Italian Campaigns. On Dec. 10, 1942, the remainder of the Regiment departed fron Caledon, N. I. and journeying through Scotland arrived in England the following day. After a life of ease in English country homes, the Regiment embarked at Liverpool on Dec. 22nd and arrived near Oran, Algeria on Jan. 3, 1943 The only excitement was an accidental ramming by another transport during a night maneuver near this African harbor.

On Feb. 17, 1943 this Regiment had its first contact with Rommel's Afrika Korps at Hadjeb E1 Aioun. A few miles west of town the 1st Bn. and French troops were blocking a pass at Kef El Ahmar. The 3rd Bn. dug in along a wadi crossing a road north from town and was supported by the 151st Field Artillery Bn. It allowed the armored column to approach wihin 150 yards before opening fire and stopped this thrust in its tracks. That night the 3rd Bn. rejoined the 1st Bn. and both withdrew to Sbiba where they fought off armored attacks from Feb. 18th to Feb. 26th. On March 1Oth, the 1st Bn. recaptured Kef El Ahmar but later returned to its former position. Routine patrolling was the order of the day with daylight patrols going out 15 miles and night parties patrolling out 4 miles. Then the Regiment moved to the vicinity of Sbeitla to defend the Division rear and flanks until April 5th. The first offensive action of the entire 34th Div. was an attack across the flat, featureless, desert against Fondouk from April 8th to the 10th. The action of a British Armored Division to the north greatly aided our efforts with a bold, frontal assault.

The complicated, secret move of the American II Corps across the line of communication of the British First Army brought us to the northern sector on April 29th. From this date until May 1st, the historic battle of Hill 60 was fought. Its decision came about when the 1st Bn. with an attached company of tanks and supported by the fires of the 3rd Bn. outflanked this key bastion. From May 4th until the 8th, the outfit participated in the battles for Eddekhila and Chougui Pass over mountainous terrain similar to that in Italy. Through the greater part of the Tunisian Campaign this Regiment and the 34th Division were part of the American II Corps under command of General Patton and Bradley.

A period of rest, relaxation, re-organization, training and preparation took place during the remainder of our stay in Tunisia and Algeria. Just before leaving North Africa for Italy, the 100th Infantry Battalion composed of Hawaiian born American citizens of Japanese extraction was attached to take the place of the 2nd Bn. attached to AFHQ in Algiers.

The 133rd Infantry was the only combat loaded element of the 34th Div. on the voyage to Italy and it started to land on the beaches at Salerno on Sept. 22nd. From Sept. 27th until Oct. 5th, the 133rd Infantry Combat Team operating between the Fifth and Eighth Armies pursued Kesselring's Army from Salerno through Benevento and forced a crossing of the Calore River. The second crossing of the Volturno River in the Alife area was highlighted by a German counterattack, with 14 tanks which was broken up by the accurate gunnery of our Cannon Company firing 1000 shells within a half an hour. The 133rd Infantry then fought in a series of battles at Pratella, Ciorlano, the 3rd Volturno River crossing and S. Maria Olivetto. The first recorded bayonet attack was launched by the 100th Bn. during this series of engagements. While at Scapoli and M. Marrone from Nov. 25th until Dec. 10th, our soldiers experienced the violent weather of a Italian winter. An attack above the timber line and among snow covered crests from Radicosa Pass to << Purple Heart Valley >> before Cassino commenced on Jan. 3rd. Our crossing of the Rapido River started on Jan. 24th and the unit's part in the memorable battle for Cassino lasted until Feb. 21st. The 3rd Bn. was the first to enter the town followed by the 1st Bn. and then joined by the 100th Bn. At the time of relief by New Zealand troops, one-third of this savagely contested stronghold had been wrested from the enemy.

The 2nd Bn. rejoined the Regiment on March 16, 1944. On March 24th. the Division embarked for the Anzio Beach-head and started occupying its position. Our Regiment took its place in the line on April 14th and remained three until the break-out. Our Regimental Sector was characterized by brilliant daylight raids; persistent night patrolling; enemy artillery coming from three directions; local attacks to knock the dents out of our line; plenty of rumors; attacks by small groups of Germans; miniature, explosive filled tanks that kept running into the defensive wire plus those loud, colorful, nightly shows put on by the ack-ack shells. After breaking out from the beach-head the Regiment fought a furious engagement at Lanuvio; attacked through Genzano di Roma, Albano Laziale and the tired, equipment laden unit entered Rome on June 6th after a blistering 15 mile march along a rocky railroad bed and over hot, dusty roads. Then a rapid advance was made through Civitavecchia and through an ambush at Tarquinia, a battaIion of enemy bicycle troops was completely annihalated. The period from June 26th to July 2nd was characterited by brief but bitter battles at Castiglia, S. Vincenzo and Cecina. From July 8th until July 31st, the outfit fought from Castellina to the Arno River and during these actions its sector was eight miles east of Leghorn and four miles east of Pisa. Re-entering the fight on Sept. 7th the Germans lodged in the Appenine mountains and Gothic Line were driven back from Legri to Montepiano. On Oct. 1st, we started to battle for the critical terrain feature known as M. Venere. By Oct. 11th, the Regiment was well beyond Monguno at the northern end of this hill. It can be pointed with pride that this Regiment, the 133rd Infantry, made the last successful attack on the part of American troops of the Fifth Army in 1944 with the final capture of famous M. Belmonte on October 23rd!

Since that time, there has been only one substantial change in American positions but this fact has not made the enemy rest any easier. They expect the Fifth Army to attack and they also know that the veteran << Red Bulls >> of the 133rd Infantry from the 34th Division will be in these actions performing their assigned missions and capturing its objectives until all enemy forces submit to unconditional surrender!!!


The silver background of the shield represents the old Infantry color. The red castle indicates service in the Spanish-American War while the green cactus is for service on the Mexican Border. The red fleur-de-lis (flower) represents service in France during World War I. The Regimental mono on the scroll at the bottom of the shield is << Avauncez >> and the literal translation from French is << Advance >>.

Edited by Regimental Information & Education Office: Published by
Special Services Off.; Passed by Base Censor. MTOUSA


Order of Battle

133rd Regiment

Nominal strength: 3,258 men

  • Headquarters
  • 1st Battalion: HQ Company, Rifle Companies A, B, C; Heavy Weapons Company D
  • 2nd Battalion: HQ Company, Rifle Companies E, F, G; Heavy Weapons Company H
  • 3rd Battalion: HQ Company, Rifle Companies I, K, L; Heavy Weapons Company M
  • Cannon Company
  • Attached Units:
    • 151st Field Artillery Battalion
    • 757th Tank Battalion
    • 807th Tank Destroyers Battalion
  • Medical, supply, mess and transportation personel with various attached Battalion Trains as needed


Elements of an army


9 to 10 soldiers.
Typically commanded by a sergeant or staff sergeant, a squad or section is the smallest element in the Army structure, and its size is dependent on its function.


16 to 44 soldiers.
A platoon is led by a lieutenant with an NCO as second in command, and consists of two to four squads or sections.


62 to 190 soldiers.
Three to five platoons form a company, which is commanded by a captain with a first sergeant as the commander's principle NCO assistant. An artillery unit of equivalent size is called a battery, and a comparable armored or air cavalry unit is called a troop.


300 to 1,000 soldiers.
Four to six companies make up a battalion, which is normally commanded by a lieutenant colonel with a command sergeant major as principle NCO assistant. A battalion is capable of independent operations of limited duration and scope. An armored or air cavalry unit of equivalent size is called a squadron.


3,000 to 5,000 solders.

A brigade headquarters commands the tactical operation of two to five organic or attached combat battalions. Normally commanded by a colonel with a command sergeant major as senior NCO, brigades are employed on independent or semi-independent operations. Armored cavalry, ranger and special forces units this size are categorized as regiments or groups.


10,000 to 15,000 soldiers.
Usually consisting of three brigade-sized elements and commanded by a major general, divisions are numbered and assigned missions based on their structures. The division performs major tactical operations for the corps and can conduct sustained battles and engagements.


20,000 to 45,000 soldiers.
Two to five divisions constitute a corps, which is typically commanded by a lieutenant general. As the deployable level of command required to synchronize and sustain combat operations, the corps provides the framework for multi-national operations.


50,000 + soliders.
Typically commanded by a lieutenant general or higher, an army combines two or more corps. A theater army is the ranking Army component in a unified command, and it has operational and support responsibilities that are assigned by the theater commander in chief. The commander in chief and theater army commander may order formation of a field army to direct operations of assigned corps and divisions. An army group plans and directs campaigns in a theater, and is composed of two or more field armies under a designated commander. Army groups have not been employed by the Army since World War II.




History 133rd Infantry

A chronological record of the events the 133rd Infantry Regiment was a part of from 10 Fenruary 1941 through October 1945.

Colonel Walden S. Lewis

13 page pamphlet printed in Gorizia, Italy
September 29, 1945

A more detailed history of the 133rd is available on the 34th Infantry Division Association's website.

Feb. 10, 1941 The Regiment, an Iowa National Guard unit, was inducted into Federal Service as part of the 34th Infantry Division.  
March 1, 1941 Arrived at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana for intensive training.  
Aug. 11 - Oct. 1, 1941 Participated in Louisiana Maneuvers.  
Dec. 8, 1941 Arrived in New Orleans for guard duty.  
Dec. 23, 1941 Returned to Camp Claiborne.  
Jan. 4, 1942 Arrived at Fort Dix, N. J.  
Jan. 14, 1942 1st Bn and Special Cos sailed for Ireland.  
Feb. 18, 1942 2nd & 3rd Bns sailed for Ireland.  
May 28, 1942 The Regiment assembled in the vicinity of Caledon, Northern Ireland for intensive training and maneuvers.  
Sept. 17, 1942 2nd Bn. left the Regiment for duty with Allied Force Headquarters in England.  
Nov. 18, 1942 The National Guard’s 34th Infantry “Red Bull” Division, as part of the US North African invasion force, was credited as having the first American soldier to step off the boat in support of the war effort on North African soil.  
Dec. 10, 1942 The Regiment moved to England where complete equipment was issued; and passes were issued for London, Manchester and other English cities.  
Dec. 22, 1942 The Regiment moved to Liverpool and boarded the Empress of Australia the next day.  
Dec. 25, 1942 The Regiment sailed for North Africa.  
Jan. 3, 1943 The Regiment landed at Mers El Kabir (Oran) after a voyage climaxed by the Empress being rammed by another ship of the convoy, and marched to Assi Ben Okba, ten miles East of Oran. A period of light training, guard duty, and passes to Oran followed.  
Feb. 1, 1943 The Regiment assembled in the vicinity of Lavayssiere.  
Feb. 7, 1943 The Regiment moved by truck over the bitter cold Atlas Mountains to the vicinity of Maktar, preparatory to relieving the French units in sector south of Fondouk Pass and east of Hadjeb-el-Aioun.  
Feb. 17, 1943 The 3rd Battalion made contact with advancing elements of Romel's [sic] 21st Panzer Division and stopped them. The same day the 1st Battalion was equally successful in turning back the enemy at Kef-el-Amar Pass. Ordered to withdraw the next day.  
March 11, 1943 1st Battalion recaptured Kef-el-Amar Pass with heavy losses in Company.  
April 8, 1943 Battle for Fondouk Pass began in a bitter struggle for hill 306, with the 1st Bn. finally storming and clearing it two days later.  
April 10-25, 1943 The Regiment trained intensively around Fondouk, then Makatar.  
April 29, 1943 The Regiment moved to Sidi Nsir in sight of the Mediterranean, and joined in the bitter three day struggle that ended in the capture of hill 609. The 1st Bn. made the final and successful attack while under the command of the 135th Infantry.  
May 2-8, 1943 The Regiment participated in the battles for Eddekhila and Chougui Pass over mountainous terrain where supply was the greatest problem.  
May 13 - July 30, 1943 The Regiment was engaged in police and salvage work, training and building staging areas for those troops bound for Sicily.  
Aug. 1, 1943 The Regiment moved to Arzew near Oran for more training and a week later to the vicinity of Slissen for mountain training and the 5th Army Battle School.  
Aug. 26, 1943 The Regiment moved to Bou Tlelis where training was eased up and passes to Oran were available.  
Sept. 9, 1943 The 100th Infantry Bn. was assigned as the Regiment's 2nd Bn. and fought as part of the Regiment until March 1944.  
Sept. 19, 1943 The Regiment sailed from Oran in readiness for an assault landing in Italy.  
Sept. 22, 1943 The Regiment landed in the Bay of Salerno without incident and marched to the Division assembly area near Paestum.  
Sept. 25, 1943 The Regimental Combat Team, composed of the 133rd Infantry, 151st Field Artillery, and Company "A" 109th Medical Bn. moved to the assembly area near Montecorvino-Rovella, then passed through the 45th Infantry Division to establish contact with the enemy.  
Sept. 26 - Oct. 2, 1943 The Combat Team advanced in the general direction of Benevento against moderate to heavy opposition.  
Oct. 3, 1943 The 3rd Bn. made a spectacular advance and secured Benevento advancing through difficult terrain, drizzling rain and heavy artillery fire. Company "K" suffered heavy casualties in the outskirts of Benevento. In the afternoon the 45th Infantry Division passed through us.  
Oct. 5, 1943 The Regiment assembled Northwest of San Giorgio.  
Oct. 12, 1943 The Regiment moved to a bivouac area West of Mountsaichio assembling as Division reserve during the crossing of the Volturno River.  
Oct. 18, 1943 The regiment was given the mission of crossing the Volturno river and securing Alife. The 1st Bn. secured a bridgehead, and the following day Alife, with the 3rd and 100th Bns. securing the flanks.  
Oct. 23, 1943 The Regiment advanced against stiff opposition to secure finally the high ground Northwest of San Angelo D'Alife. During that day the 100th Bn. beat off a tank attack, accounting for one enemy tank.  
Oct. 31, 1943 The Regiment captured Ciorlano which required capturing a succession of hills and supplying by hand carry.  
Nov. 4, 1943 The third crossing of the Volturno was accomplished and S. Maria Olivetto taken against heavy enemy fire and over ground thick with mines and booby traps.  
Nov. 5 - 9, 1943 The Regiment repelled numerous enemy counter-attacks and by the 12th was relieved by the 135th and 179th Infantry Regiments.  
Nov. 15 - 22, 1943 The Regiment was in VI Corps reserve.  
Nov. 25, 1943 The Regiment relieved the 504th Para. Infantry in the vicinity of Colli, while the Cannon Company moved to Scapoli.  
Nov. 29, 1943 The Regiment continued the attack against bitter opposition for the next 5 days with the enemy always looking down from the next hill. Casualties were as high as 15% in the 100th Bn. The weather was cold and rainy and all supply was brought up by newly acquired mules.  
Dec. 3 - 10, 1943 The Regiment held positions won and was constantly subjected to heavy artillery fire.  
Dec. 9, 1943 The Regiment was relieved by the French.  
Dec. 10, 1943 The Regiment moved to the vicinity of Alife to a rest area where replacements were received and a program of training and recreation was provided.  
Jan. 1944 My grandfather arrived in Caserta, Italy  
Jan. 1 - 5, 1944 The Regiment was in II Corps reserve.  
Jan. 8 - 13, 1944 The Regiment was teamed up with the 1st Special Service Force under Task Force B and continued the attack, seizing several hills, including Mt. Capraro, in the face of stubborn enemy resistance, mountainous terrain and adverse weather.  
Jan. 13, 1944 The Regiment less the 100th Bn. reverted to control of the 34th Infantry Division and continued the attack Northwest of Cevaro. The 100th Bn. returned to the Regiment on the 19th of Jan.  
Jan. 21, 1944 The Regiment occupied positions in preparation for the attack across the Rapido river to Cassino. Cassino was extremely well fortified, the enemy skillfully employing the terrain features to best advantage.  
Jan 24 - Feb. 21, 1944 The Battle for Cassino. The Regiment played a leading role in this famous battle which was one of the toughest of the war. There were many cases of outstanding valor and the fierceness of the battle can be gauged by the over 50% casualties suffered by the three Battalions.  
Feb. 22, 1944 The Regiment was relieved and withdrew to Alife area for training.  
March 10, 1944 The Regiment moved to San Giorgio, near Benevento, where replacements were received and a period of intensive training resulted.  
March 16, 1944 The 2nd Bn., which had been on guard duty at AFHQ in North Africa, rejoined the Regiment. The 100th Bn. was relieved of assignment to the 133rd Infantry but remained attached up to 31 March.  
March 23, 1944 The Regiment began moving to Staging Area No. 1 near Naples to prepare for movement to the Anzio Beachhead.  
March 25, 1944 1st & 3rd Bns. and Special Companies arrived at Anzio and moved by truck to assembly area a few miles inland.  
March 26, 1944 2nd and 100th Bns. arrived on the Beachhead. The Regiment less the 3rd Bn. relieved units of the 30th Inf.  
April 11 - 13, 1944 The Regiment relieved the 168th Infantry Regiment along the Mussolini Canal and the Cisterna River.  
May 23, 1944 At 0630 hours the Anzio Offensive began. The 1st Special Service Force passed through the Regiment to cut highway No. 7, but was driven back by German Tiger Tanks and Infantry.  
May 24, 1944 The 1st Bn. finally cut the road after an all day struggle, after which the 2nd & 3rd Bns. passed through and secured their objectives early the next morning.  
May 25, 1944 The Regiment was pulled back to an assembly area then shifted several miles to the North.  
May 26, 1944 The Regiment attacked toward Lanuvio for three days, moving rapidly until encountering the main enemy defense line.  
June 3, 1944 The Regiment captured Lanuvio after an extremely bitter and costly five day struggle.  
June 4, 1944 The Regiment rested the afternoon and night in Albano, then marched 15 miles the next day to an assembly area on the edge of Rome.  
June 7, 1944 The Regiment passed through the 168th Infantry Regiment north of Civitavecchia pushing up route No. 1. Just South of Tarquinia the Regiment destroyed an enemy bicycle Bn. in a furious one day engagement.  
June 9, 1944 The Regiment was relieved by the 361st Infantry and went into a rest and training period near Tarquinia. Passes to Rome were very popular.  
June 26, 1944 The Regiment relieved the 143rd Infantry Regiment East of Piombino and continued the attack along highway No. 1.  
June 27, 1944 The 1st Bn. had a brief but sharp engagement at San Vincenzo and the Regiment continued its advance.  
July 1, 1944 Cecina was captured after a hard two day struggle after which the Regiment had a brief rest period.  
July 5, 1944 The 3rd Bn, A.T. and Cannon Companies were reviewed by Secretary of War Stimson.  
July 8, 1944 The Regiment relieved the 168th Infantry in the vicinity of Riparbella and continued the attak [sic] North over very rough terrain.  
July 19 - 20, 1944 The Regiment was relieved by the 168th Infantry and had a day rest.  
July 21, 1944 The Regiment relieved the 442nd Infantry in the vicinity of Colle Salvetti.  
July 22, 1944 The Regiment continued the attack to reach the Arno River.  
July 24 - 29, 1944 The Regiment was relieved and went into a rest and training period in the vicinity of Rosignano.  
Aug. 19, 1944 The Regiment was inspected by Prime Minister Churchill.  
Aug. 21, 1944 The Regiment moved by convoy to training area in the vicinity of Castelflorentino.  
Sept. 6, 1944 The Regiment moved to an assembly area in the north edge of Florence.  
Sept. 8, 1944 The Regiment moved North about ten miles to Cercina.  
Sept. 9, 1944 The Regiment moved back around Florence and then Northwest to Legri to begin the attack on the Gothic Line. Light resistance was encountered over mountainous terrain.  
Sept. 12, 1944 The resistance was stiffening and mine fields were encountered as we neared the main defense positions.  
Sept. 15, 1944 S. Margherita was cleared in the hard struggle then in progress.  
Sept. 22, 1944 Hill 918 was finally captured and later in the day Montepiano was cleared.  
Sept. 24, 1944 The Regiment went into Division reserve in the vicinity of Montepiano.  
28-Sep-44 The Regiment moved to the vicinity of Montecarelli on route No. 65.  
Sept. 30, 1944 The Regiment moved to Madna de Fornelli to prepare to continue the attack the following day to capture Mount Venere.  
Oct. 4, 1944 Mount Venere was captured after a savage four day fight. Monzuno was captured late that night by Co. "F". The following day the attack continued without let up.  
Oct. 11, 1944 The Regiment was relieved and went into Division reserve in the vicinity of Vergiano.  
Oct. 16, 1944 The Regiment began the attack for Mt. Belmonte with the 2nd Bn. making the initial effort, Company "G" suffering heavy losses.  
Oct. 21, 1944 Castel di Zena was captured by 1st Bn.  
Oct. 23, 1944 Mt. Belmonte was finally taken by 3rd Bn. making [sic] the end of the offensive for the year.  
Nov. 11, 1944 The Regiment was relieved and went to Montecatini for rest and training.  
Nov. 21, 1944 The Regiment relieved the 361st Infantry in the sector along Route No. 65 from Livergnano West of La Guarda.  
Dec. 3, 1944 The Regiment was relieved of its sector and set up the C.P. in Loiano; however for the next month at least two Bns. were on the line under control of either the 168th Infantry or the 135th Infantry.  
Dec. 31, 1944 The Regiment was relieved and as a unit again went to an assembly area in the vicinity of Piancaldoli.  
Jan. 2, 1945
Jan. 11 - 12, 1945 The Regiment relieved the 349th Infantry in the sector 4000 yards East of Mt. Belmonte. The Regimental C.P. was located at Savazza on the Idice river.  
Feb. 5, 1945 The 2nd Bn was assigned the mission of capturing hill feature 363. Company "F" suffered heavy casualties in leading the unsuccessful attack later known as the "Collina Operation".  
Feb. 12 - 13, 1945 The Regiment was relieved by the 363rd Infantry Regiment, the 3 Bns. going to Montecatini for 5 days rest. The remainder of the Regiment went direct to Le Croci di Calenzano, the training area 14 miles Northwest of Florence. General Marshall visited the Division, including the 133rd Infantry.  
March 3, 1945 The 1st Bn. went into Army reserve backing up the 10th Mountain Division. The remainder of the Regiment relieved the 349th Infantry on Monzuno sector West of Highway No 65.  
March 11, 1945 The 1st Bn. returned to the Regiment in the reserve area around Trasasso.  
April 3, 1945 The Regiment took over the Mt. Belmonte sector, relieving the 361st Infantry Regiment.  
April 9, 1945 The 168th Infantry took over the command of the sector including the 2nd and 3rd Bns., Cannon and A.T. Companies of our Regiment, the remainder of the Regiment moved to Sadurano, behind the escarpment. map
April 16, 1945 0300 hours was the "H" hour for the attack, with the 168th Infantry passing through the 2nd and 3rd Bns.
April 19, 1945 The Regiment passed through the 363rd Infantry East of Highway No. 65 and continued the attack north.
April 21, 1945 The Regiment entered Bologna with Company "K" in the lead.
April 23, 1945 The Regiment started up highway No. 9 with the 1st Bn. in the lead securing Modena.
April 24, 1945 The 3rd Bn. secured Reggio after a fight in the Eastern edge of town. The 2nd Bn. marched 27 miles protecting the left flank.
April 26, 1945 The 3rd Bn. passed through Parma around the edge of Fidenza and went Northeast to Busseto, capturing it after a ten hour fight, the 1st Bn. clearing to the right of the 3rd Bn. and the 2nd to the left.
April 27, 1945 The 2nd Bn. at San Pietro in Cerro captured 459 POWs and much equipment after a sharp fight. The 3rd Bn. advanced as far as the Po river 3 miles South west of Cremona.
April 28, 1945 The Regiment assembled in the vicinity of Fidenza.
April 29, 1945 The Regiment moved by truck to Bergamo 175 miles distant.
May 1, 1945 The Regiment moved to the vicinity of Busto Garolfo Northwest of Milan.
May 2, 1945 The Regiment moved Westhistory along the Autostrada to Arborio where news was received of the German surrender in Italy.  
May 3, 1945 The Regiment moved to Gallarate-Varese area Northwest of Milano, where we continued to police up prisoners.  
May 15 - 16, 1945 The Regiment moved to an area West of Torino where one Bn. was on duty on the French border and the remainder of the Regiment carried on a training, education and recreation program.  
May 30, 1945 The Regiment held an impressive Memorial Day Service. Company "I" traveled to Anzio for the service conducted by 5th Army.  
June 30, 1945 The Allies Parade in Susa with the 3rd Bn., representing the 34th Infantry Division, parading with the French 27th Alpine Infantry Division.  
July 17-19, 1945 The Regiment moved by rail and truck to Northeastern Italy in the vicinity of Udine where training, education and recreation programs continued in line with our guard duty assignments in Trieste, Pola, Gorizia and along the Morgan line.  
October, 1945 The Regiment returned with the 34th Division to the United States.  



133rd - April 23-26, 1944, Po Valley

34th "Red Bull" Infantry Division

Narrative History of the 133rd "Ironman" Battalion

23-26 April 1945 • Po Valley, Italy

23 April [1945]

Command post moves to L614632, below Modena. This command post is the last ofseven established for brief periods this day to keep up with our fast-moving troops.
Operational Instructions No. 29 issued, announcing the formation of the133rd RegimentalCombat Team, with Overlay No. 20.

0900 hours - Have received orders and are moving out. Ride along Highway 9 to withinseven kilometers on Modena (L565665), then detruck to begin foot move. Reach point aboutfour kilometers from Modena, just across the Panaro River, and deploy across country. Mission, towipe out any pockets of German resistance as well as to cut off and destroy any enemy, isolatedin the mountains to the south, who might try to infiltrate through our lines.
1300 hours - Company A on left, Company B on right, moving across country andreporting no opposition.
1350 hours - Companies have passed two pre-designated check points and report nocontact with the enemy.
1600 hours - Five hundred enemy troops with tank support reported four kilometers fromModena. A large ammunition dump south of he town has been over-run and the ammunition is stillintact and piled in neat stacks.
1700 hours - Mission of cutting Highway 12 south of Modena has been accomplished and battalion has pulled into vicinity of Saliceta (L550644). Troops are to set up road blocks andmotorized patrols for the night. Only one-half of the proposed road blocks are erected on accountof meeting a strong enemy delaying force across a blown bridge at Rubiera (L450678), alongHighway 9 about 10 kilometers past Modena. Kitchens are to move in and, if feasible, serve ahot breakfast in the morning.

1145 hours - Battalion moves out in trucks northwestward on Highway 9. Detruck near Modena and go into the attack, moving westward on foot south of Highway 9. The only enemyactivity is six rounds of self-propelled gun fire. The attack continues through the night.

Troops alerted to move at 0700 hours. Reconnaissance patrols dispatched. Battalion motors at 1300 hours to point four miles south of Modena, closing in at 1400 hours. Companies Iand K move out to vicinity of L508669, west of Modena, establishing road blocks. Battalion giventhe city of Reggio nell' Emilia (L335730), 10 miles beyond Modena on Highway 9, as itsobjective.
Troops move on foot, crossing Secchia River and proceeding westward, by-passingenemy strongpoint at Rubiera. Second Battalion is to by-pass this point from the south. Third Battalion route is north of Rubiera. First Battalion is to set up series of road blocks to the south ofSecond and Third Battalion operations. Third Battalion moves out, Company I leading, at 1900hours. Plans changed en route; battalion clears out Rubiera before continuing.

24 April [1945]

Command post moves up from L614632 to Cittanova (L497666), three miles west of Modena on Highway 9, at 0100 hours. About noon the command post moved again, to
L374710, where the staff began planning the rout of the Wehrmacht. The Regiment's mission sofar in this push has been to protect the left flank of the Division. To this end, road blocks wereestablished at L330691, L318692, L298694 and L 295690, with others planned at L248695 andL224695.
One of the prizes in this day's haul of captured equipment was a German 105-millimeter howitzer which the Regimental Intelligence and Reconnaissance Platoon seized intact at L358675,12 miles west of Modena, below Via Emilia.
Operational Instructions No. 30 issued, instructing all personnel to carry arms at all times, andto neglect no opportunity to capture disorganized detachments of enemy. Prisoner-of-war total for the day: 113.

0500 hours - Breakfast of steak and eggs served and troops are to move out.
0700 hours - Orders received to continue advance west along Highway 9. Enemy inRubiera have pulled out.
0815 hours - Battalion command post established in Rubiera, with companies out as ascreen around the town. Prisoners of war and Partisans are streaming into the town from alldirections. Eight German soldiers taken in Rubiera and at least 50 others, some in civilian clothing,brought in by the partisans.
1000 hours - Battalion receives orders to move west of Reggio nell'Emilia.
1330 hours - Troops six kilometers southwest of the town. Battalion command post at Masone (L393697); companies occupying road blocks.
1730 hours - A barrage of enemy light-caliber artillery fire falls in Company B's area, killingone man and wounding seven, four of whom were hurt only slightly. The shelling occurred at theroad block at L320700.
1900 hours - Company A in assembly area at Tarabuso. Company C still maintainingthree road blocks, Company B two.

Enemy tanks slow our troops' progress during the early morning hours. The hostile armor does not fire, but moves on the roads ahead of our men. By daylight the tanks have pulled out.Company E assists the Third Battalion in the taking of Reggio nell' Emilia. Companies F and Greach their objectives just south of the town and set up road blocks. This day, despite intermittentopposition, Second Battalion troops advanced by foot more than 27 miles.

By dawn Companies I and L are on the southeastern outskirts of Reggio nell' Emilia, astrideHighway 9 (Via Emilia). Enemy contacted at this point and fire-fight develops. Germans holdingcity with company or more of Infantry supported by artillery, self-propelled guns, mortars andmachine guns. Friendly supporting artillery pulls in at approximately 1100 hours.
(Company K, out of contact with battalion since jump-off last night, checks in during earlyafternoon, giving its position as in the vicinity of the airfield at Reggio nell' Emilia. Thus Company Kis on the right flank of the Battalion.)
Coordinated attack planned with Company I on the left of the highway, Company Lmoving up railroad tracks on right of road. Company K moving in from its position on the right.Battalion pushes into town in late afternoon with enemy retreating before it. About 20 prisonerstaken and casualties inflicted on the Germans. The northern and western edges of Reggio nell'Emilia reached after dark, with only a few snipers remaining in the town. Battalion reorganizes,establishes road blocks and secures town. During the night there are Partisan and Fascist clashesthroughout the area.
25 April [1945]

The road blocks at L295690, L298694 and L248695 were discontinued when elements ofthe Brazilian Expeditionary Force entered our positions. Company R, the Regimentalreplacement company, occupied Reggio nell' Emilia as an "S" Force and came under control of the15th Army Group for the period of duty. The command post moved to L284729, two miles westof Reggio nell' Emilia, south of Highway 9.
Operational Instructions No. 31 appears with Overlay No. 21, outlining the immediatemissions of the battalions. Verbal orders were given to every unit permitting all personnelpossible to be carried on one vehicle, a measure design to facilitate our advance. The prisoner-of-war total for the day: 119.

Expecting orders to continue westward through Reggio nell' Emilia and along Highway 9.
1400 hours - Company B ordered to watch for troops from the Brazilian ExpeditionaryForce, who are expected to make contact with us soon from the hills to the south.
1700 hours - Battalion moves out and bivouacs for the night near Cella (L257754),southwest of Reggio nell' Emilia.

Company F, supported by tanks, moves westward to Bibbiano (L209705) to establish road blocks. Company G goes to Cavriago for the same reason. Company E stays at Catinni,just south of Reggio nell'Emilia, and also sets up road blocks.

Company L assigned the mission of proceeding up Highway 9 with tanks until contact withthe enemy was effected. The troops march all morning, reaching a point more than 13 milesnorthwest of Reggio nell' Emilia. Thirty-five prisoners are taken during the advance up thehighway. After contacting the 168th Infantry, the battalion assembles two miles southwest ofReggio nell' Emilia in the afternoon.
26 April [1945]

Operational Instructions No. 32 appeared, with Overlay No. 22, outlining plans for theRegiment to assemble west of the Taro River on order. Command post assembled atP981901, off Highway 9 seven miles below Fidenza. The Regiment has been moving intoassembly areas so rapidly in recent days that it has been necessary to arm and enlarge quarteringparties to take care of any enemy that might still be in the proposed location. In the late afternoon the command post moved again, to K876045, 10 kilometers north of Fidenza, below Busseto.This day the Air [Force] demonstrated with close support and started fires in many enemy-heldbuildings. Prisoner-of-war haul for the day: 180.

0900 hours - Orders received to move to an assembly area west of Parma (L100855), 12miles beyond Reggio nell' Emilia on Highway 9. The battalion departs in organic transportationand Cannon Company trucks. There is still some [weapons] fire in Parma, and the men must duckas machine-gun bullets crack over their heads as the vehicles pass through the town.
1300 hours - The Regimental Intelligence and Reconnaissance Platoon notifies CompanyA that there are an estimated 100 enemy in Paroletta, northwest of Parma, below Busseto(K882065). Company A, with two tanks, goes around the town to the left. Company C and twoother tanks move into the town and begin clearing the buildings. Considerable machine-gun andsniper fire is encountered., and some tank and mortar fire.
1700 hours - Company C has occupied about one-half the town with one platoon ofCompany B.
1900 hours - Prisoners report that Germans have eight heavy machine guns in Paroletta.Company D has set up mortars about 800 yards south of the town. Cannon Company is firing insupport.
2000 hours - Thirty-three prisoners taken. Enemy still resisting with small arms and machine guns.
2200 hours - Paroletta has been taken and the battalion command post is established atthe southern edge of town. Major Chapman, battalion commander, orders advance toward the PoRiver continued at midnight.
2400 hours - Battalion moving northward in column. Rifle troops marching, clearing andsearching buildings as they advance. Company C suffers one man killed and three wounded thisday, while one Company D man was killed and one wounded.

Troops move by truck at 1130 hours to assembly area near Fidenza, 10 miles up Highway9 from Parma. Arriving at 1300 hours, Company E is dispatched to clear enemy snipers fromseveral houses in the area. Companies F and G move northwest, their objective Monticelli. At S. Pietro in Cerro (K813115) civilians told Lieutenant Colonel Horan, battalion commander, that some1,000 German soldiers had passed through there in the past three hours.

Troops alerted at dawn. Entruck at 1000 hours, moving on Highway 9 through Reggio nell'Emilia, Parma and S. Pancrazio, arriving at assembly area southeast of Fidenza at noon. Regimentto attack in column of battalions - Third, First and Second, respectively. Platoon of tanks attached to Third Battalion. Battalion, motorized, with one platoon of Company I on lead tanks, moves out at1400 hours. Passes through the outskirts of Fidenza, crossing the Stirone River and movingnorthward on the road to Busseto. At 1630 hours battalion contacts strong enemy force onoutskirts of city. Troops detruck, deploy and engage enemy. Progress held up by intense small-arms fire and self-propelled guns. Battalion attacks with Company I on right, Company L on leftand Company K in support. By dusk Company L takes and secures the railroad station.Company I keeps abreast, thus giving battalion a foothold in town. Several hours after dark battalion clears town, taking approximately 70 prisoners, and killing and wounding many more.