Free Web Counter

The following file is the property of the 34th Infantry Division Association and Patrick Skelly, webmaster. Thanks to Patrick and the Association for allowing me to post them here.

History, 133rd Infantry Regiment, 34th Infantry Division

From 1 December 1943 to 31 December 1943, inclusive.


     On 1 December 1943, the Regiment continued the attack with the 3rd  Battalion in the assault with the mission of seizing Hill 1180.  The  attack progressed slowly against heavy enemy resistance in the form of  mortar and small arms fire.  Ground gained was outposted that night and  the attack on 1140 was resumed the following day.  Enemy resistance  continued to be heavy and the objective was taken that night at  approximately 0100, 3 December 1943.  During this period, 1-3 December,  the 2nd (100th Inf Bn Sep) remained in position on Hills 905 and 920  with two companies facing Hill 832 which was firmly occupied by the  enemy.  The 100th Battalion was continually in close contact with the  enemy, at some points only 100 yards separated the opposing forces.  On  1 December, the enemy counter-attacked Hill 920 but were repulsed.  During this period the 1st Battalion remained in position protecting the  right flank of the Regiment.  Company "A" had been attached to the 3rd  Battalion, 2 December.  The Regiment, with orders to hold, remained in  position, conducted intensive patrolling, and made plans for the relief  of the Regiment by the 4eme Regiment de Tirailleurs Marocains, 2ems  Division Marocains [4th Moroccan Rifle Regiment, 2nd Moroccan Division],  commencing on the night of 8-9 December.  Throughout the period 3-10  December, considerable enemy harassing fire fell in the Regimental  sector, with the Regimental CP in Scapoli, Hill 920, and Cannon Company  receiving the heaviest concentrations.  On 7 December the Cannon Company  received a 215 round concentration of 155 mm in 45 minutes.  The  Regiment was continually in close contact with the enemy in the 100th  Infantry Battalion sector throughout the period.  In the remainder of  the Regimental sector, contact with enemy was maintained by patrolling.  On two occasions defensive barrages were called down in the face of  apparent enemy attacks which never developed.  The weather during the  period was rainy and cold, the men's canteens froze at night.  Supplies  had to be hauled great distances over rough terrain by mule trains and  carrying parties.  The 1st and 3rd Battalions were relieved by the  French [Moroccans] on the night of 8-9 December and the remainder of the  Regiment on the night of 9-10 December.  Control of the Regimental  sector passed to the French at 0140 hours, 9 December 1943, at which  time relief of the 1st and 3rd Battalions had been completed.  The  entire relief was accomplished without a hitch.  It was quite apparent  that the measures taken to prevent the enemy from discovering that a  relief was taking place, were completely successful.  The Regiment  assembled in the vicinity of Fornelli, Italy, and moved during the night  of 10-11 December to a rest area in the vicinity of Alife, Italy.


     The Regiment remained in the rest area, vicinity Alife, Italy,  during the period 11-30 December.  At the beginning of the period a  considerable portion of the time was spent bathing, cleaning equipment  and assimilating replacements.  After this was accomplished a training  program emphasizing physical hardening, scouting and patrolling and the  training of specialists was carried out.  Throughout the period troops  were sent to the Rest Center in Naples and a continuous program of  entertainment was provided for the troops in the area.  Movies were  shown every night as well as some stage shows.  Decorations were awarded  and several officers and men received Battle Field promotions.


     On the evening of 30 December, the Regiment commenced its move to  an assembly area in the vicinity of Presenzano, Italy, where it was to  be in II Corps reserve.  That night the Regiment, less the 100th  Infantry Battalion, completed the move, with the 100th Infantry  Battalion closing in, the night of 31 December.  A severe blizzard  struck in the night of 31 December 1943.  Plans were made for  reconnaissance to both flanks of the Corps in anticipation of entering  into combat.


100th Inf Bn: 68 KIA, 211 WIA, 0 MIA

1st and 3rd Bns: 43 KIA, 162 WIA, 7 MIA

133rd Inf Regt: 111 KIA, 373 WIA, 7 MIA



100th Inf Bn: 22

1st and 3rd Bn: 60

133rd Inf Regt: 82


     In the operations during the period rain was almost constant,  making travel difficult and use of vehicles at a minimum.  Pack mules  were employed to get ammunition and supplies to the front line units.  Men of the assault units suffered under the adverse weather conditions  throughout the entire period.  Occasionally water froze in the canteens  at night.

     Enemy aircraft were particularly active at the beginning of the  period.  the 100th Bn suffered 12 casualties on Nov 1st as a result of  an enemy air attack.


          Colonel, Infantry.



     s/Roy L. Stephenson


     Captain, Infantry

     Commanding [sic]