Free Web Counter

The following file is the property of the 34th Infantry Division Association and Patrick Skelly, webmaster. Thanks to Patrick and the Association for allowing me to post them here.

History, 133rd Infantry Regiment, 34th Infantry Division

From 1 May 1944 to 31 May 1944, inclusive.


     During the period 1 May to 23 May 1944 incl, the Regiment with 100th  Infantry Battalion (Sep) attached remained in its defensive positions  generally along the Mussolini Canal.  Enemy activity consisted of fire  from self-propelled guns, harassing artillery fire, small arms and  mortar fire.  Enemy airraids were confined to hours of darkness and were  more of a nuisance nature and did very little damage to our troops and  installations.  The enemy used houses, knocked out tanks well  camouflaged as hay stacks for OPs and machine gun nests.  They were well  dug in with ditches and trenches connecting strong points.  They laid  many mines and placed booby traps with trip wire along all likely  avenues of approach to their positions.

     Our positions were constantly improved, we laid many mines and  installed wire in front of our units.  Listening posts were manned  constantly.  A large raiding party (the Red Raiders) consisting on one  officer and forty men all volunteers of the First Battalion was formed  for special missions in enemy territory.  Much valuable information was  obtained by patrols and raiding parties.  Patrol clashes were frequent  resulting in many fire fights, with hand grenades being used by our  troops with good results.

     On the morning of May 9th a patrol of one officer and three men from  "G" Company went into enemy territory during daylight.  It was a daring  raid, they returned with 9 German and 3 Italian PWs.  The enemy suffered  one killed, our patrol had no casualties.  Four Italian deserters were  captured by "G" Company, 2 on May 10th and 2 on May 12th. During the  period the enemy constantly improved their positions during hours of  darkness.

     The First Battalion launched an attack on enemy strong points in the  vicinity of (049266) and (253263) across the Mussolini Canal on May  20th.  46 PWs were taken.  A strong enemy counter-attack was repulsed  with "B" Company being forced to withdraw to their original positions.  Company "A" held their objective.  After a heavy fire fight the enemy  was repulsed with losses leaving "A" Company in control of the junction  of the Cisterna River and Canal.  Companies "B" & "C" 100th Infantry  Battalion relieved Companies "B" & "C" First Battalion and a platoon of  Company "I" relieved a platoon of Company "A" 100th Battalion on May  21st.


     On May 22nd the First Battalion moved to an assembly area in the  vicinity of (017271) preparing to relieve the First Special Service  Force.  On May 23rd the Second and Third Battalions moved to take over a  sector held by the Special Service Force, the move being completed early  May 24th.

     At 1715 hours May 24th following a thirty minute Artillery  Preparation the First Battalion supported by tanks, T/Ds, Recon Troops  and Engineers launch an attack to cut Highway # 7.  Enemy resistance was  strong where the railroad crossed the Canal.  The objective was reached  at 2100 hours where they held until passed through by the Third  Battalion on the early morning of May 25th.  At 0530 hours May 25th the  Regiment reverted to VI Corps control and was passed through by the  Special Service Force.  The Second Battalion followed the Special  Service Force mopping up and consolidating positions along the Canal  from (083314-101330-087334), 11 PWs were taken.

     May 26th the Regiment moved to an assembly area (985345) prepared to  attack at dawn.  The attack was started at 1100 hours Second and Third  Battalions abreast with First Battalion 100 yards to rear in the center  of the line.  The Third Battalion had a little difficulty with mines. On  May 27th the attack continued and the Regiment was held up at Hill 173  by tanks, Mortar and Artillery fire.  Two enemy counter-attacks of Tanks  and Infantry were repulsed.  One consisted of 2 tanks and 40 men against  the Third Battalion, the other of 6 tanks and 200 men against the Second  Battalion.  The First Battalion moved into the line between the Second  and Third Battalions at 2200 hours where the Regiment held for the  night.  Early on the morning of the 28th the attack was continued with  all Battalions abreast.  The attack was coordinated with the 168th  Infantry.  Progress was slow against heavy enemy resistance from the  front and flanks.  At 2115 hours the Second Battalion seized Hill 187  (925404).  The Regiment was held up by opposition from Villa-Crocetta,  the Second Battalion by-passed Villa-Crocetta and proceeded rapidly to  the railroad bank.  The Third Battalion advanced a short distance under  very stiff resistance.  The Regiment withdrew at 1150 hours on the 29th  to consolidate and prepare to resume the attack at 1900 hours with all  Battalions abreast.  The Second Battalion gained positions 400 yards  short of the railroad after very heavy fighting when it was ordered back  to protect the exposed flank and stabilize the line. The Regiment held  their positions supporting the 135th Infantry attack at 0630 hours May  30th firing all weapons.  The Battalions reorganized and consolidated  their position and supported the attack of the 135th Infantry making a  demonstrative attack in their sector by firing all weapons.  Strong  patrols were sent out to the front while the Regiment prepared to  continue the attack.

     Throughout the period the enemy had advantage of dominating terrain.  Our troops made steady advances against infantry supported by tanks,  armored vehicles and heavy fire from artillery, mortar and  self-propelled guns.  Enemy mines and booby traps were a constant threat  but caused little delay and very few casualties.

     During the period our supporting artillery inflicted many casualties  on the enemy.  The Cannon Company fired approximately 275 missions,  expending approximately 11,000 rounds of ammunition of all types.  Our  troops captured 189 prisoners.  The performance of the Second Battalion  was all that could be desired of a units' first action in offensive  combat.  At the end of the period the Regiment was heavily engaged with  the enemy in the vicinity of Lanuvio to the south (933403-907400).

          W. H. SCHILDROTH.

          Colonel, Infantry.



     s/Donald L Nabity


     Captain, Infantry.


OrganizationCampaign HistoryPublicationsDocumentsOral History

PhotosMapsLinksCollectionBioSite MapMESSAGE BOARDContact

34th Infantry Division 133rd Infantry Regiment Rifle Company 1st Battalion A World War II 2 Italy